Organizational Background and Mission of KOWIN Chicago Chapter
KOREAN WOMEN’S INTERNATIONAL NETWORK (KOWIN)
KOWIN is a network of women leaders of Korean descent around the world with the purpose of networking and facilitating discussion of issues concerning Korean women. The formation of the KOWIN network was encouraged and facilitated by the Ministry of Gender Equality and Family of the Republic of Korea.
- Strengthen solidarity of domestic and overseas Korean women
- Enhance international cooperation through the KOWIN network
- Secure national competitiveness by invigorating overseas Korean women network
- To establish women’s network of Korean descent for mutually beneficial collaboration
- To discover female human resources and to effectively utilize them
- To improve women’s rights of Korean descent through strengthened solidarity
KOWIN US Regional Chapters
- KOWIN US Eastern Region: Chicago, Washington, New York
- KOWIN US Southern Region: Arizona, New Mexico, Dallas, Atlanta
- KOWIN US Western Region: LA, San Francisco, Washington State
KOWIN Chicago Chapter
Mission of KOWIN Chicago is to build a network of international women of Korean descent to seek and mentor talented Korean women to become respected leaders in their community, to promote improving Korean women’s general well-being, and to promote advancement of Korean women in their professional lives.
KOWIN Chicago, through its non-for-profit foundation, Chicago Korean Women’s Foundation also carries out charitable, cultural and educational activities, including providing scholarships and educational opportunities to Korean women and girls both nationally and internationally.
Officers (September 1, 2021 – August 30, 2023)
- President: Irene J. Sohn
- Co-Vice President: Naomi Frydman
- Co-Vice President: Ji-Yeon Yuh
- General Affairs Secretary: Soo Yeon Lee
- Treasurer: Jane H. Lee
Chicago Korean Women’s Foundation (CKWF)
The purpose of CKWF is to promote educational, cultural and charitable work for the benefit of girls and women of Korean descent in the United States and all across the globe, and especially in the poverty-stricken areas. CKWF is dedicated to promoting women’s issues such as gender equality and increasing educational opportunities for Korean women. Activities and programs of CKWF include, but not limited to, providing educational scholarships and hosting forums on women’s issues particularly facing Korean women. The membership to CKWF is open to current members in good standing with KOWIN Chicago Chapter and have been a member in good standing for a minimum of two (2) consecutive years.
Officers (January 1 – December 31, 2023)
- President: Jane H. Lee
- Treasurer: Joy Park
- Secretary: Naomi Frydman
CKWF will not undertake any activities not permitted to an organization exempt from taxation pursuant to Section 501 (c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. In furtherance of the Foundation’s charitable or educational purposes, it shall have the power to receive and allocate contributions, within the sole discretion of the Board of Directors, to any organization organized and operated exclusively for charitable and educational purposes within the meaning of Section 501 (c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code which the Board of Directors believes will benefit the causes of the Foundation.